Message Him Back

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

"He was a skater boy, she said see you later boy."
-Avril Lavigne


-

I had long accepted the fact that I was a millennial spinster. I spent the entire weekend watching Netflix (The Mysteries of Laura, AMAZING) and eating things that I hadn't in quite some time (aka, carbs and chinese food...lots of carbs). It was perfectly okay, though, because I was perfectly happy and perfectly fine with just chilling by myself. I didn't feel the need to go out and catch a guy, nor did I feel the need to be with someone right now. Besides, with my luck, it would probably be around the next leap year that I met a guy that I actually liked.

The thing is, I go on dates (okay, well...I used to, I haven't been on one since that awkward Fanny May boy in like, June), I give guys chances, and I even have a Tinder (and I'm relatively nice to them too!)...BUT, I don't like any of the guys I meet. I've said it fifty million times on this blog before, I just need to feel that spark. That magic.

And truth be told, the last time I liked a guy (to clarify- not loved) was forever ago when Rafael and I first met, you know, before the whole kidney disease and "hit it and quit it" bullshit that he pulled (THE GHOST OF TACOS PAST, PART ONE). Before that was Louis Romney, and a year and a half before that was the infamous Chuck Cuevas.

Matthew continued to tell me that the guys messaging me on Tinder were flirting with me (well, yeah...but I didn't like any of them), Kayresia continued to tell me that I needed to give guys a chance, and Serena told me that I was seriously brushing off some pretty hot guys (didn't matter- no sparks!). My friends had told me the truth, and were genuinely trying to prevent me from being best friends with the delivery man, but I just couldn't fake interest, even if the the guys would have made some other girl very happy.

I continued to swipe out of boredom, as Laura hunted down another murder and got to the bottom of another homicide.

When suddenly, my phone went off, with a notification.

The message that awaited me was different than the usual messages that I got, this one caught my attention, for obvious reasons of course. This message stood out in the sea of pick up lines, generic hellos, and awkward conversation starters that sat in my inbox. That being the case, I actually opened my first message, since I redownloaded the app.

Emerson: Hey I've seen you around before

I paused my Netflix queue.

There was one of three things that could be going on here-


  1. There was some single asian female shit going on here
  2. He was mistaking me for some other asian girl
  3. He was totally lying as a pick up line
Blair: Really?
Emerson: On campus, definitely

I did some internet reconnaissance, and within seconds, I found his Facebook. He was handsome, charming, and had the swagger of Childish Gambino (which I will admit is definitely a plus). I messaged Sally (Matthew's boyfriend, Salvador) to get some information.

Sally: He used to live with us freshman year. I'd say talk to him. He goes to our school and everyone thinks he's cute. 
Blair: Okay, lol, because I never messaged him back.. he is cute... how tall is he?

DAMN, Blair, asking about height like usual!

Sally: Lolz girl you better talk to him, and he's about my height
Blair: What did he study and is he normal
Sally: He's a whiteish black boy, he's a skater. He's cool though. Message him back. I think you'll like him.

And I'm not going to lie, as soon as Sally said that, I thought to myself, "Ha, fat chance!" With my luck, I'll find a guy that I like a decade from now.

Emerson was definitely different than the guys I've dated--instead of being a nerdy, grandpa at heart (or actual old ass man, like Louis Romney), he was a breath of fresh air. He was young, adventurous, restless, and liberated. He definitely was more of the creative type, as he skateboarded, and was into photography and design.

Matthew: Are you trying to date him or just fuck?
Blair: I do want to date! He just doesn't look like the type that dates!

I mean, I wasn't trying to be Mrs. Emerson Zephyr, but I wasn't going to lie and say that I didn't want to go on dates and see what happened. And Emerson gave off a casual vibe, and I wasn't going to waste my time on him if he was just trying to Rafael me!

Matthew: You never know, flirt a little and find out. 

Me, Blair Bui, flirt? Did I even know how to flirt anymore?

After talking to Matthew and Sally, I sent Emerson a message. Sure, this could have ended in absolute chaos, and he could fake kidney failure...or something really cool could happen. But I would never knew unless I took a chance...right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS