Of Course

Monday, February 29, 2016

“It's hard to believe in coincidence, but it's even harder to believe in anything else.” 

-John Green

-

There is a universal law that whenever there is a guy you don't want to see, they will magically appear, and another that if there's a guy you really want to see- you won't. It's a well known fact, and probably one of the most frustrating things in the entire world.

-

"Yeah but insurance doesn't work that way," Kayresia said, as the two of us walked past the apartment mailboxes. I heard footsteps, and I had a weird gut feeling inside of me. I turned around, to see old ass Romney staring back at me, vneck sweater and all.

"Hello Blair," he said, smiling at me.

Why the fuck was he smiling me? As far as I knew, I had never wanted to see him again, for a variety of different reasons. It wasn't just that he embarrassed me two months ago at my staff holiday party by being a pompous asshole and running away, or that he made me basically un-dateable for every first year medical student. It wasn't even that when I had my first kiss with Tinder Guy #3 that Romney had seen us (seriously, it really isn't, I dumped TG #3, remember?). It was that I couldn't stand him!

Regina and Casey had made an effort to be extra antagonistic to him, and for good reason too! If any of my friends were involved with a nearly thirty fuck boy, I would be purposely bitchy to him too!

"Hi." I said, looking over at Kayresia. She looked back at me, clearly amused by this.

Louis then walked around us, and turned to Kayresia. "Hi Kayresia," he said, as he scurried off like a sewer rat. My eyes narrowed to little slits, as I gave him a death stare, as he walked off.

"Of course we would run into him," I said, as I took another deep glug of black coffee.

"Of course Blair, you always run into people you don't want to run into," Kayresia laughed.

-

As I walked out of the student center, I saw a familiar figure heading towards me. That stupid fucking Guess grey leather jacket. That jacket used to be one of my favorite things in the entire world, the first time I ever saw it was when Chuck and I went on one of the most magical dates of my entire life (no more detail on that later, that is the past), but now I felt like it was taunting me.

"Hey!" Chuck said, with a smile.

I looked at him, and quickly walked away. "Hey." I said, coldly, not even making a face.

I didn't even look back to see if he was surprised, but I had a feeling that he was after what had happened between us.

-

The Thursday before, Chuck asked me to come over to help him with his personal statement for his internship; the two of us had stayed up until three in the morning, and then woken up again at seven am to work on it. I was there for him, just like I always was. Before I had left to go over to his place, though, Kayresia, Casey, and Regina had all told me the same thing- not to tell Chuck that I fucked Zayn. For whatever, reason, they thought he was going to knock out Zayn, and care that we fucked. And I thought he wouldn't.

And guess what?

He didn't. Chuck never cared, he wasn't like some other ex boyfriend, harboring feelings or feeling some kind of way after the break up. If he had, we would've gotten back together by now.

I'm not going to lie, Chuck and I definitely slept together, a couple, multiple times. And as I walked through campus on that Friday afternoon, Yael had stopped me.

"Hey, are you on break from class?" Yael asked, curiously.

"Kind of. Not really. I spent the night at Chuck's place," I said, hiding behind my infinity scarf.

"I know, Blair," Yael said, looking at me. I stared at him, blankly. Was I giving off a sex smell or something?

"You have hella bed head right now," Yael added, laughing.

"Shut up, it's not that bad!"

As we walked and caught up with everything that happened, Yael turned to look at me. "You guys need to get back together," he said, adamantly.

"Wait, what?" I said, my jaw nearly dropping to the ground. Sure, Chuck and I were friends, but it was a well known fact that the two of us were not getting back together. Chuck wanted to be alone, he wanted to be completely alone. and he got what he wanted. He doesn't want to be with me, and there's some guy out there who does.

"You guys are acting like little kids, just stop it and get back together," Yael said. I gave him a look, and shook my head.

"No. We aren't."

"Blair, we all know that you and Chuck are going to get back together."

The two of us had plans to hang out that night, and as eight drew closer, I texted him.

And then he texted back, pushing it back.

And then, two hours later, he cancelled on me. Even though I had so much going on in my life, and I told him that I needed to talk. He cancelled, when he knew how important it was for me, and that I needed him to be there for me, like I had been there for him Thursday night. And of course, he said that something comes up, because something always came up, Whether as friends, or as lovers, Chuck never made me a priority. And that feeling told me everything that I needed to know.

-

I hadn't talked to him in days, and I was planning on not speaking to him, when he just magically showed up on campus.

"Of course I run into him, I can run into two ex boyfriends, but Rafael won't even text me back," I thought to myself.

I had gotten excited that weekend, because Rafael had texted me. And somehow, I misinterpreted him being a fuckboy, as genuine interest. There was just something about this stupid guy that made my brain temporarily stop functioning, something about him that bothered me- in the most annoyingly good way possible. He was annoying, and stupid, and he knew exactly how to mess with my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS