The Elizabeth Bui Resignation Letter Because The Odyssey Online Fucking Sucks

Monday, April 25, 2016

“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”
-Aldous Huxley, Complete Essays 2, 1926-29


-

"But you've only written an article, Blair, how can you possibly make this decision?"

People always say that I am a very perceptive writer, that I'm insightful and that I have a way with words. I am always clearly and concisely conveying what I intend, and never have I doubted the things that I write or the things that I say. And for the first time, in a long time, I felt doubtful, as the article that was posted on the Odyssey Online made me feel like my poignant piece of writing had been belittled to rookie fluff.

I have no problems with fluffer pieces, I have no problem with entertainment pieces that make people laugh, pieces that fill up lunch breaks and random mornings. Little lists, little blurbs, little pieces that are a little break in mundane life, they are imperative to our daily lives, whether we realize it or not. I love fluff, fluff is life, but fluff is not what the piece I submitted to the Odyssey Online. But what should I expect, from an unprofessional organization and the unprofessional editor-in-chief that was promoted.

I know about writing. I know about journalism. I have years of experience, as I have blogged (quite successfully, if I may add) vividly about my personal experiences since I could type. I was Editor-in-Chief of my school paper for my high school paper for two years, Features Editor for one, and a staff writer my freshman year. Those years of experienced made me tremendously capable when it came to InDesign, editing, and editorial work, among many other things. Those life skills have carried me, and taught me and immense amount about journalism, and professionalism. Neither of which The Odyssey Online contains.

I have never worked for a place that has begged their employees to get them to apply- that does not pick the cream of the crop, but merely allows anyone who wishes to enter the membrane of the organization. I have never worked for a place who does not genuinely and seriously interview their candidates, or fully process them.

I have never worked for an organization that is so rushed to hire a leader that they push aside all other canidates, as Leah Gay said to me, "I have an EIC candidate I am on the second round of interviews with right now, I know this is all moving super fast! Super exciting! I will let you know if I am still looking for one."

Moving fast- to fill a role of a leader? And to not even consider other candidates, just because you are so desperate to fill a role, that you would just give it to the person furthest along in the interview process? It is not exciting to be dismissed or not given an opportunity because ONE PERSON is further along in the interview process. It is not exciting that everyone is so hurried and rushed that the desperation reeks from this organization to keep it functioning.

Which is no wonder that the person rushed into the role lacks professionalism and cannot fill their role- I have NEVER worked for an organization that cannot spell the name of an individual properly. And of course, the person chosen to fill the coveted leadership role cannot spell my name correctly, nor can they properly consult me when editing my article.

When you write something, you put your name out on it. And to publish something that someone wrote, without showing someone the shreds remaining of their work, covered by your rushed editing and fluff, that is disrespectful to me, and that reeks of unprofessionalism. Writers don't even get to see the final product that their name is attached to? What is that? To comment that someone's piece, written from their heart and soul is not captivating and needs "added pictures" to enthrall people- that's pathetic. I don't write fluff and I don't write lists, I write seriously and earnestly.

And with that, I must say that I am choosing to resign from my position. The lack of professionalism and lack of respect, it's not something that I would ever willingly participate in.

Elizabeth Bui

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS